1.0 The Definition
The Person who gives heed to “the evil-report” catches “the disease,” of “the evil-report” and develops the destructive diseased personality of the Carrier; it will mentally and emotionally destroy that Person – Proverbs 17:4 “An evildoer gives heed to false lips; a liar listens eagerly to a spiteful tongue.”
1.1 The Disease
If the “disease” of embracing “the evil-report” is not dealt with, it will grieve our Lord Jesus Christ and causes abominations (hatreds) to arise in the “the diseased” Person’s heart – Proverbs 26:24-25 “He who hates, disguises it with his lips, and lays up deceit within himself; when he speaks kindly, do not believe him, for there are seven abominations in his heart.” The “Diseased-Personality:”
1.1.1 Bitterness and Rebellion
The Person who “is diseased,” develops bitterness and/or rebellion, even though the Person who catches “the disease” does not directly offend an Individual:
- Bitterness – Hebrews 12:16 “Looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this (bitterness) many become defiled.”
- Falls short of God’s Grace.
- Root of bitterness becomes part of Person’s Character.
- Brings Troubles.
- Defiles Others.
- Rebellion – 1Samuel 15:23a “For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity (lawlessness) and idolatry.”
1.1.2 Recruiting Others
The Person who “is diseased” sets up himself/herself as “the Judge” in matters which are God’s responsibility – – James 3:11-12 “Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the Law and judges the Law. But if you judge the Law, you are not a doer of the Law but a judge. There is one Lawgiver (God), who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?” And recruiting others to be “on-his/her-side:”
- Absalom’s spirit (2Samuel 15:1-6) – Absalom rebelled against King David, his father and steals the hearts of nearly the whole Nation of Israel – 2Samuel 15:6 “In this manner Absalom acted toward all Israel who came to the King (David) for judgement. So, Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel.”
- Korah’s spirit – Jude 11b – “The rebellion of Korah” – Numbers 16 – The sin of Korah is the recruiting of Israelites to be on his side, in his rebellion against Moses’ authority as God’s chosen leader and the intrusion into the Aaronic Priest Office.
1.1.3 Dig Up Evil
The Person who “is diseased” searches out “the evil-report” and using it to give the worse possible impression: Proverbs 16:27 “An ungodly man digs up evil and, in his lips, there is as a burning fire.”
1.1.4 Lack of Sincerity
The Person who “is diseased” with “the evil-report,” and spreading it, believes that his/her attitude and action is in God’s Will; but he/she failed to realize that it is an occasion of self-deception:
- Proverbs 26:18-19 “Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrow and death, is the man who deceives his neighbor, and says, ‘I was only joking.’”