2.0 Dew on Mount Hermon
Psalm 133:3a (KJV) “Like the dew of Hermon, and like the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion.” – The Second Illustration is the Dew of Mount Hermon upon the Mountain of Zion – Mount Hermon is the highest peak in Israel, located to the extreme North of the Promised Land. At its slopes the four tributaries of the Jordan River begin. Snowcapped much of the year, it symbolized abundant moisture, God’s Gift to the dry land. The plants survive on the dew for the long, rainless summers of Palestine. Nightly, as the temperature drops, the humility in the air condenses to provide the needed moisture for plants. Its dew is heavy, and it is this heavy dew that also falls upon the mountains surrounding Jerusalem, situated on Mount Zion (Psalm 48:2). Since the dew comes from Heaven, it too is an apt image of God’s Blessing, because the Brethren Dwell together in Unity.
- The Dew typified Holy Spirit in His Reviving Power through the “Life-Giving” Word of God – Deuteronomy 32:2a (NIV) “Let my teaching fall like rain and my Word descend like dew,” God’s Blessing that brings Fruitfulness.
- The “Anointing Oil” and the “Dew” – remind us that “Fruitful-Unity” is not something that we “worked up” but that God sends down. According to Delitzsch “Nowhere in the whole country of Israel is so heavy dew perceptible as in the districts near to Hermon.”
- This abundant of Dew from Mount Hermon is carried to Zion by the cold current of air sweeping down from the north over Hermon. – Such is the value and Power of “Fruitful-Unity” of the brethren – It is Refreshing, Quickening and Invigorating!!
- Dew comes from above and illustrates that “Fruitful-Unity” is from God, that comes upon Zion (the General Assembly of Believers – Hebrews 12:22-23), when brethren dwell together in “Fruitful-Unity!”
- When the brethren in the Church dwells together in Unity, the Divine Blessing permeates the Whole Congregation – J.J. Steward Perowne (“Commentary on Psalms”) states: “It is not the refreshing nature of the dew, nor its gentle, all-pervading influence, which is the prominent feature. That which renders it to the poet’s eye so striking an image of brotherly concord, is the fact that it falls alike on both Mountain.”
- The “Fruitful-Unity” comes from God’s Spirit, flowing over us like Oil, and the Heavy Dew (Reviving Power & Life-Giving of the Holy Spirit), descending upon us, bringing God’s Blessing of Life
- Our Unity comes from the Spirit of God flowing over us like Anointing Oil, and the Heavenly Dew descending upon us, bringing God’s Blessing of Life – Eternal Life, forever and ever. It is only God’s Spirit and His Promise of Eternal Life that will break down the sin in our hearts, crucifying our selfishness, making us one. As Psalm 133:1 says, “Behold, how good and pleasant it is.” Now let us live in it!!
2.1 Blessing of Life
Psalm 133:3b (KJV) “For there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.” – Two illustrations (Psalm 133:2-3) – the Desired Unity is both Fragrant as Oil; and Refreshing as Dew.
- The quality of both the Oil and the Dew is pervasive (all-encompassing) and diffusive (widely spread).
- The Oil does not rest on head, but flows down upon Aaron’s beard, and to the collar; and the Dew does not remain on Hermon but flows down on the Mountain of Zion.
- The Holy Spirit Who is both the “Oil” (Isaiah 61:1-3; Psalm 45:7; Hebrews 1:9), and the “Dew” (Psalm 72:6; Hosea 6:3; 14:5), possesses and is possessed by the whole Church of God, overleaping all Racial, Social, Cultural, and Sectarian Distinction – the Life of the Holy Spirit is imparted, so the Church has “Life for Evermore” (Psalm 133:3). True Unity is an Organism, not an Organisation (Ephesians 4:11-16).
- The Strong Accent on God’s Initiative – “The LORD commanded the blessing.” What is God’s Gift – “Life for Evermore!” Unity and Brotherly Harmony released God’s Blessing – “God’s Life.” The expression: “Life for Evermore,” is not found anywhere in the Old Testament except in Daniel 12:2.
- “Fruitful-Unity” not only gives life to the Individual and the Church but also makes the Individual/Church “a Living Example” to the World and helps draw others to Christ.
- “Fruitful-Unity” Renews and Revitalize Ministry because there is less tension to sap our energy.
Thus, it is important to be connected to each other in the Body of Christ (Ephesians 4:16) and allowed the Holy Spirit to produce the “Fruitful-Unity” and “Fruitful-Anointing,” which will result in Personal as well as Corporate Success – The Individual and the Church will experience the “Refreshing Presence of the LORD” (Acts 3:19) – “the Dew” of the Holy Spirit (Psalm 133:3a).